We always make fun of the phrases our parents say while we are growing up. You know the ones – I had to walk 10 miles to school in the snow and up hill both ways etc.
As a kid and teenager, you could not imagine using those same phrases and sayings any time in your life.
Then you become a parent and just as if it were nature working its magic, you start to say them to your kids.
I did some extensive research (Google) to find some of the best phrases and sayings that dads use every day.
Take a look. What ones do you say that you would have laughed at your dad for saying?
Top dad phrases and sayings:
1. Do you think I’m made of money?
2. Money doesn’t grow on trees
3. He’s as thick as two short planks
4. When I was your age
5. I’m not sleeping, I’m just resting my eyes
6. I’m not going to tell you again
7. Were you raised in a barn?
8. Don’t talk back to your mother
9. If you were told to jump off a cliff, would you?
10. They don’t make them like they used to.
11. You are grounded til’ you are 30.
12. Don’t make me stop the car.
13. It builds character.
14. You don’t know what hard work is.
15. Go ask your mother.
16. A little bit of dirt never hurt anyone.
17. Waste not, want not.
18. Now, don’t go spending a lot on me.
19. You are not going out with that.
20. Stop crying or I will give you something to cry about.
21. Don’t tell your mother.
22. You will understand when you are older.
23. In my day……
24. No ____ until you eat your dinner.
25. Don’t make me come back there.
So there are 25 I found and I have to say, even though my boys are both under three, I already have fired a few of these off.
Funny how a large portion involve the word “don’t.”
Oh dads, always having to be the bad guy in a situation.
I know there are many more great dad phrases and sayings out there. Give us your best in the comments below.