Day 5: Giant Giraffes And A Whole Can Of SpongeBobs

like a dad

Well in a few more hours, I can officially say that one week of parental leave will be in the books. How has it been so far? Pretty great.

I am still figuring a few things out, trying to accept that everything does not have to get done and trying to relax a little more. I will get there.

On a side note, you might be wondering why this is Day 5? I am not counting weekend days as part of my leave, as my wife is home to help and really, it is not part of it.

Back to business.

Today was my first Monday since last week was a holiday. The day started early, just before 5 am, with Charlie doing  A LOT of sleep kicking. That is his new thing. Kicking the sides of his crib while still asleep. I was awake, knowing it was only a matter of time before he actually woke up. That was just after 5 am. The good news, I managed to change him and get him downstairs to the couch and back to sleep without the help of a bottle.

I felt like this was a huge win for me. Normally, food was all that would sooth him.

So we dozed on the couch until everyone else got up around 7 am.

I had both boys today so it is always a balancing act. While Charlie had his morning doze, Harry and I painted. We have a nice new painting of a giant Giraffe on his wall now.

The next big step of the day was a walk to the library. The weather was dull and rainy but we went anyways.

It was good exercise and we all had fun. I did experience walking into the mama bear cave though. The kid part of the library was all moms and their kids. They did not look at me funny, but I sure felt like I walked into the wrong room. Oh well, deal with it all.

With books packed, we walked home. The fresh air and exercise must have worked. Harry ate an entire can of SpongeBob pasta and was still hungry.

He also passed out in seconds when it was nap time. Both boys napped for most of the afternoon giving me time to catch up on sleep as I will be up late watching Michigan hopefully with the NCAA Championship.

So all in all, a great day. The hours fly by and nothing has been frustrating (yet). I think I was made for this kind of thing. Staying home, taking care of the kids etc. Okay, it has been a week. Maybe I should wait for a few months before thinking that.

Well, short post tonight. I am off to the basement to try to stay awake for a 10:20 pm local time tip.