Over the years, being a blogger has brought a lot of free samples and products to test and review. It’s certainly a perk. But the ultimate is when you get invited to events where you get to meet other bloggers and celebrities and enjoy a VIP experience.
Last night, thanks to my relationship with Swiffer, my wife and I got to dine with Damon Stoudamire, the first ever draft pick of the Toronto Raptors.
Damon was there to kick off a new campaign where anyone can own a piece of the #InauguralCourt that the Raptors played on 20 years ago. You can get all the details here, but basically, all you have to do is buy $15 worth of Swiffer product at Loblaws, send in a form and you are mailed a framed piece of history.
The dinner was held at E11even down by the ACC. I had never been so I was excited for a great meal on top of meeting a legend of the hardwood.
The food did not disappoint and neither did the conversation. It took a few cocktails, but everyone starting picking Damon’s brain on his life as a dad, opinions on the NBA and what he would like to do in the future.
Here are a few of the highlights.
- Damon has to do his own laundry. He was very clear on this.
- One day he would love to coach college ball. He wants to help kids achieve their goals.
- Perfect scenario for him, he said a school like Georgia Tech.
- He believes Phil Jackson will come down from the booth and coach the Knicks eventually.
- Loves Andrew Wiggins growth and advises him to never come home and play for the Raps.
- When talking Raptors, he thinks Terrance Ross is the key to their success.
- Loves Toronto but does not think he could live in the city. Prefers the warm weather like Arizona.
- Not a big fan of Twitter. That’s something his kids do.
- Laughed at us all for ordering dessert. The portions were giant.
We took some photos and Damon called it a night because he had a big media day ahead. I am sure you have seen Damon all over the Toronto media.
— Swiffer (@Swiffer) April 21, 2015
Meeting Damon has brought on a lot of old memories watching him 20 years ago. He was so quick as the PG for the newly born Raps. He was electric and could shoot from deep. He was the first fan fave when it came to hoops in Toronto.
Photos from the night.
Swiffer is giving away 3400 pieces of the Raptors court from their inaugural ´95-96 season. It´s your chance to own a piece of Raptors history. Receive by mail† when you buy $15 worth (after coupons or discounts applied and before taxes) of Swiffer products between March 25-June 30, 2015.
Limited time offer.