EVENT RUNS FEBRUARY 26-MARCH 20
THE BOY AND THE BEAST – OPENING NIGHT, SPECIAL PREVIEW SCREENING
THE IDOL – CLOSING DAY FILM
THE LITTLE PRINCE – SPECIAL PREVIEW SCREENING
2016 JURY INCLUDES:
SOFIA COPPOLA, GEENA DAVIS, MATTHEW MODINE, JULIANNE MOORE,
BILL PLYMPTON, SUSAN SARANDON, CHRISTINE VACHON,
GUS VAN SANT, JEFFREY WRIGHT
NEW YORK (January 20, 2016) – The critically acclaimed New York Int’l Children’s Film Festival has announced its 2016 jury and slate preview for the upcoming event, which runs February 26-March 20 at New York’s Bow Tie Chelsea, DGA Theater, IFC Center, Museum of the Moving Image, Scandinavia House, SVA Theatre, and Village East Cinemas. Now in its 19th year, the Festival is the nation’s largest for children and teens and will present all new animated, live action, documentary and experimental shorts and features from approximately 30 countries. The complete festival lineup will be announced on January 26 and tickets for the festival will go on sale at www.nyicff.org.
The 2016 jury includes new members Sofia Coppola and Julianne Moore, as well as returning members Geena Davis, Matthew Modine, Susan Sarandon, Gus Van Sant and Jeffrey Wright (complete jury below). As an Oscar®-qualifying festival, NYICFF jury winners qualify for consideration for the 2017 Academy Awards® in the Live Action and Animated Short Film categories.
· The Boy and the Beast, Opening Night Film – Special Preview Screening, Japan, Animation, Mamoru Hosoda. Presented by Funimation Films prior to the film’s March 4 nationwide release.
· The Idol, Closing Day Film – US Premiere, United Kingdom/Palestine/Qatar/Netherlands/United Arab Emirates, Live Action, Hany Abu-Assad
· The Little Prince – Special Preview Screening, France/USA, Animation, Mark Osborne
2016 FESTIVAL JURY:
· John Canemaker – Academy Award®-winning animator (The Moon and the Son)
· Sofia Coppola – Academy Award®-winning writer, director and producer (Lost In Translation, Somewhere, Marie Antoinette)
· Geena Davis – Academy Award®-winning actor and Founder, Geena Davis Institute on Gender in Media
· Lynne McVeigh – Associate Professor of Children’s Media at NYU Tisch School of the Arts
· Matthew Modine – Award-winning actor (Full Metal Jacket, The Dark Knight Rises)
· Julianne Moore – NY Times Bestselling author, Academy Award® and Emmy-winning actress
· Richard Peña – Director Emeritus New York Film Festival, Columbia University Professor of Film Studies
· Bill Plympton – Academy Award®-nominated filmmaker (Guard Dog, Idiots and Angels)
· Dana Points – Editor-in-Chief of Parents magazine
· Susan Sarandon – Academy Award®-winning actor (Dead Man Walking, Ping Pong Summer)
· James Schamus – Award-winning filmmaker (Brokeback Mountain, The Ice Storm)
· Christine Vachon – Award-winning filmmaker (Boys Don’t Cry, Mildred Pierce)
· Gus Van Sant – Award-winning director (Good Will Hunting, Milk)
· Taika Waititi – Academy Award®-nominated writer/director (Two Cars One Night, What We Do in the Shadows)
· Jeffrey Wright – Award-winning actor (Basquiat, The Hunger Games)
ABOUT NEW YORK INT’L CHILDREN’S FILM FESTIVAL:
New York International Children’s Film Festival was founded in 1997 to support the creation and dissemination of thoughtful, provocative, and intelligent film for children and teens ages 3-18. The Festival experience cultivates an appreciation for the arts, encourages active, discerning viewing, and stimulates lively discussion among peers, families, and the film community. The 2016 event takes place February 26-March 20, with 100+ films from around the world, premieres, filmmaker Q&As, filmmaking workshops, audience voting, and a Closing Night Celebration. In addition to presenting the annual event, New York International Children’s Film Festival is a multifaceted arts organization that offers year-round engagement, including special event premieres and pre-release screenings, film production workshops for kids, satellite festivals, and touring programs that screen in theaters nationwide. New York Int’l Children’s Film Festival is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization.
NYICFF 2016 information: www.nyicff.org / 212-349-0330
NYICFF 2016 press contact: Sara Groves / 42West